Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tube-E or not Tube-E


Okay. So the title is lame. I have not been able to get this phrase out of my head for the last couple of weeks while we were trying to decide whether or not to get Lincoln ear tubes.

Early in the month, after recently recovering from a previous ear infection, we took Lincoln to the doctor with another round of symptoms. Lincoln's doctor suggested that with Lincoln's history of ear infections (and how hard they are to get rid of) it was probably time to consider tubes. David and I were very apprehensive about the whole idea. We didn't like the idea of Lincoln being under anesthesia, we were nervous about the actual surgery and recovery, and we were unfamiliar with the restrictions on a person with tubes. All of these concerns were put to rest when we finally decided that we don't want our little guy to have to suffer any more with painful ear infections that won't go away.

Friday was surgery day. Lincoln was not scheduled to check in until 11:15 am. That means that he was not able to eat anything for breakfast other than Popsicles. He was also not allowed to drink anything after 9:30. That was very hard. Lincoln kept saying "mommy. I hungwy." It was so hard to tell him that he was not allowed to eat until after his ears got fixed.

When the time came, we took Lincoln to the surgical center for the procedure. Lincoln was very brave. In fact, he was more brave than his wimpy mommy. We waited for the doctor for a while while watching Playhouse Disney. Thank goodness for Little Einsteins. When it was finally time for the surgery, it was about 12:15. By this time, Lincoln was very, very hungry. The nurse came in to get Lincoln. We gave hugs and kisses, and the nurse wrapped Lincoln up in a warm blanket and took off down the hall. As Lincoln was being carried down the hall, I heard him say "See you later mommy." My eyes welled up with tears immediately. David and I headed to the waiting room. We sat there for about 15 minutes before the doctor came out to tell us that the procedure had gone as planned and that Lincoln was in recovery. I could not wait to go back to hold our little guy.

The nurse called us to let us know it was time to go back to be with Lincoln and we headed through the double doors. As soon as we opened the doors, I could hear Lincoln's cry coming from down the hall. I could not get to him quick enough. He was still disoriented and upset about his present situation. I scooped him up and held him to try to settle him down. Soon, we were able to go home.

As soon as we arrived at our home, Lincoln became calm. He laid down on the couch and I turned on some shows for him. Soon, he was back to himself and all was well.

We are looking forward to an infection free year! YAY for 2010!

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I am so glad everything turned out well! Hearing your child cry and not getting their soon enough is heart wrenching! Love ya! Glad all is well!

Stacia said...

Oh man Shannon! It's always way harder on me than it is on Tayton. He is very brave and I'm a big baby! Waking up is always the hardest part for us! I hope the tubes work! All of my sister Jamie's kids have had them and she LOVES how much they help her kids! Glad it went as well as it could!

Lindsey said...

oh poor guy. It's so hard seeing our kids do hard things, or be big. I got a little sad sending RJ to primary. He seemed too little and I'm not ready!
BTW I sent your picture in to get printed...I just need to pick it up now.