Back Story: Every night before bed, David pulls out Lincoln's book of Mormon and the ritual is as follows.
David shows the book of Mormon to Lincoln: "What is this Lincoln?"
Lincoln points: "Das Book of Mormon."
David opens the book to the picture of Jesus: "Who is this Lincoln?"
Lincoln points: "Das Jesus"
David: "That's right! Does Jesus love you?"
Lincoln (matter of factly): "Yep"
David: "Does Jesus love Mommy?"
Lincoln (same matter of fact tone): "Yep"
David: "Is Jesus your friend?"
Lincoln (again): "Yep"
David turns to the picture of Joseph Smith: "Who is this Lincoln?"
Lincoln points: "Das Joseph Smiff"
David: "That's right."
David turns to the picture of Moroni: "Who is this Lincoln?"
Lincoln points: "Das Mormoni"
David: "That's right"
David proceeds to open the book to start reading where we left off the night before. He gently puts his finger to his lips and says, "we have to be reverent" and proceeds reading. Often, the verse begins with the phrase "And it came to pass..."
Every night, as soon as David begins reading, Lincoln dives onto his bed and starts bouncing and rolling around. It appears as if he's not listening at all. Sometimes I wonder if anything is sinking in...
Now Story: The other day, Lincoln got hold of my glasses case. He opened it, turned it toward me, and said, "Who is dis Mommy?" I was not sure where he was going with this, so I said, "I don't know." Lincoln replied, "Das Jesus Mommy." Suddenly I understood the game.
Next, Linc said, "Who's dis mommy?" I replied by saying, "That's Joseph Smith."
"Das right Mommy. Who is dis Mommy?"
"That's Moroni"
"Das right Mommy." Next, Linc gently put a finger to his lips and said "shhhhh Mommy. Hab a be webrent (Have to be reverent)"
I was beaming inside with joy and pride, but what came next was the icing on the cake. He turned the glasses case toward him, like a book, and said, "And it came to pass..." I was so proud! He continued with phrases like "Hab a be nice (have to be nice)" and "Pway wif fwiends (play with friends)" and "Be safe."
All this time, I was not sure if reading the scriptures was making any impact on him at all. Now I know he IS getting SOMETHING out of it. I am a happy mommy.
I also have to post about a sweet little moment we had the other night while praying.
While saying our prayer together the other night, I was prompting Lincoln on what to say. Part of the prayer goes as follows.
S: Please bless the prophet...
L: Bless it frofet
S: President..... (Thomas S. Monson was to follow. We did not get that far. As soon as I said, "President" Lincoln said....)
L: Birthday!
L: Birthday Cake!
L: Presents!
At that point, I realized that he thought I said "present" rather than "president." I didn't have the heart to squash his excitement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
That's too cute! He is a smarty. I watch him in Nursery sometimes and think, "Man! He's more advanced than Porter!" It's all because he has a smart mommy and daddy!
And you thought your life was over when he peed on the church property:) LOL! He is a little smarty! I love it when they repeat the "good stuff" they hear us say! I love when you type I can read it exactly as he woudl say it!
Post a Comment