Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Motherly Advice

Okay all you mommy pros and all you soon-to-be mommies who are always reading up on how to raise your child without totally messing them up; I have a question. The Doctor says I need to start weaning Lincoln off the bottle.....how do I do that exactly? I haven't tried, but I'm kinda scared. What are some good techniques?

We went for Lincoln's one year check-up today. It turns out that our little boy is tall and skinny like his daddy. He was high in the percentile for his height, but not very high in his weight. The low weight could possibly have something to do with the fact that everything that went in his mouth came shooting out of somewhere for an entire week. Do ya think?

The lowlight of the day was that he had to have 4 shots! OUCH! Talk about brutal! I wish he could understand that he only has to get shots to prevent him from getting REALLY sick. He is doing fine now. I wish I were as resilient as he. I will be thinking about those shots for days now, but I'm sure that to him, it's just a distant memory. Kids are so cool and forgiving. Thank goodness!

5 comments:

~Kreitzers said...

No real advice, but I'm so glad we are going to be friends again! I'm so excited to get a peek into your life and see what you've been doing. Your little guy is such a doll, it just seems like things are going great for you!

Amber said...

Every child is so different- my girls never would take a bottle so I skipped the dang thing and went right to a sippy cup. Does he drink any juice from a cup? Because that's where I've always started when weaning from the breast. You might have to take out the stopper in the cup and help him the first couple times. Some people even go cold turkey and just replace the bottle with a cup.
Good luck babe- you and linc will find what works :)

Natalie said...

uuuummmm....lillie still uses a bottle, so i guess i need to do the transition with you! i think i will just go cold turkey and start giving her a sippy. she'll adjust in the next couple days i think. 4 shots in one sitting stinks! lil's 1 year appointment was on her birthday, so I felt super guilty inflicting pain on her special day, but you're right, it will keep her healthy. It still isn't easy, though!

Tara said...

I don't have any advice, but good luck. My doctor did tell me that it is a good idea to get a cup that is not spill proof or take the stopper out so that they really learn how to use a cup- with the spill proof kind they still have to suck. Shots are definitely no fun. It is good that they forget about them quickly though.

Becky said...

Okay Shan... You know I have advice on this...hehehheee. Sit Linc down and explain to him that he is becoming a big boy and can't have his bottle any more because big boys don't have bottles. Get him a 'big boy' cup and when it's time for a drink give it to him in his 'big boy' cup. Make sure to give him lots of positive reinforcement. He might be sad at first but just try to get him to drink at least one or two drinks. I have transitioned kids right from the bottle to a cup...and some to a sippy cup. See what works for you. If you go to the sippy cup...you'll eventually have to transition him from that....Ugh! Just do what feels right for you boy.... Much luck...