Saturday, October 11, 2008

Adventures of Motherhood

I had been anxiously anticipating our family photo day for quite a while. All of our outfits were chosen with careful detail. I was excited to get a nice photo taken of our family by an experienced photographer.

Because I was so excited, I tried very hard all day to do everything right so that Lincoln would be happy and cooperative for the photo shoot. I was sure to play with him during the morning to get him off on the right foot for the day. We even played outside with friends for a little while. During the day, Lincoln ate some of his favorite food: fruit snacks, apples, and half of a banana (my child is a hoover). Lincoln went down for his nap at the usual time.

Everything seemed to be fine until...he woke up after only an hour of sleep. He usually takes at least two and a half hours. I had the feeling that things were awry, but I tried to dismiss the sinking sense by making up for missing sleep time by going on an extra long walk and taking an extra long bath (two of Lincoln's faves). After an early dinner, because pictures were scheduled for six o'clock, we were back on schedule.

The trip to St. George was pleasant. Lincoln made animal sounds the whole way while listening to Mama Mia on the stereo. Things seemed to be looking up. The picture location was beautiful. The light was perfect on the red rocks and green grass. David looked handsome, Lincoln was adorable and my hair actually did what I wanted it to do. Our photographer was on time and the location was surprisingly accessible for David. I should have known that things were too perfect.

As soon as our photographer whipped out his camera,...FIASCO! Lincoln was head butting us, pulling my hair, screaming, rolling on the grass kicking, flailing his arms, growling at the photographer and crying so hard that his eyes were swollen and snot was rolling down his face. We attempted to get a few shots, but I doubt any of them are decent. Our photographer was kind enough to tell us that if we wanted to try again on another day, he would not charge us another sitting fee. HOW NICE!

With that, we decided to call it a day, pack up and head home. Ironically, the second that Linco was strapped into his car seat, he settled down.

As we were pulled into Hurricane, we decided to stop at a friend's wedding reception to give our congratulations. Lincoln was asleep in the back of the car, but we decided to stop anyway because if we let him sleep, he would not want to sleep later that night. We parked the car and I carefully lifted my sleeping child into my arms. He tenderly rested his sweet little head on my shoulder. We walked up to the entrance of the reception and... I heard it...the sound no mother wants to hear, especially in a crowd of people. The ominous burping sound that is sure to be followed by whatever was consumed during the day. I turned to head for the car, but I was not quick enough. Right there in the entrance to the reception, Lincoln lost his breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was all over my shoulder, down my pants, on my shoes and even in my perfectly styled hair. WAAHHH! I sped for the car. That walk/run was so long.

Naturally, once I got Lincoln's clothes off, he felt much better. He was now the boy that would have been a delight during our picture appointment. Luckily, David had a shirt in the car that I could wear on the way home. David gave his best wishes to the happy couple, cleaned up the remains of Lincoln's presence there, and met me at the car. By the time we got home, I felt like I smelled. We got Lincoln settled, took a shower, watched some tube, read some Potter and crashed. Thank goodness for tomorrows!

13 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love your Halloween music. I also love the movie Hocus Pocus--its a childhood fav! I even dressed up as them with my friends one year. Of course I was the fat dark haired one.

Shannon said...

Shanny, I'm so sorry about the family portrait fiasco. I remember getting all three of you, Michael, you and Tori dressed up in cute clothes and taking you to Penny's for pics. Tori had a real fear of photographers and would always cry her head off, so I packed you up and went home. As I often say to you... been there, done that. We as moms quickly find out that we are not in charge. The kids have all the control! Got to love em . Love you, Mom

Ross and Lea said...

I am feeling your pain. Confrence sunday leaving my sister in-laws house. Bronson covered his mouth with his hand and filled it carefully only to get a couple of drops on the carpet before we made it to the bathroom. With only one of my kids sick I thought we were in the clear and then oh no today getting ready for church Bria decided to join the club. Oh isn't this the worst. Good luck with pictures I can't wait to see them. Lea

Annie M Culley said...

Shannon, Your family is so cute!! (and your blog) I feel for you about the whole puking thing...I had two of them doing that at the same time week before last!!! you think one is hard!! The sad part is, is they don't understand any of it!! Well thanks for inviting me to your blog! Tell Tori to send me an invite would you?

Tori said...

I don't know if you can laugh about all that yet, but soon you'll realize how stinking funny and ironic all that is. Isn't it crazy that there's always something ominous about moments that are going perfectly? I hope you don't feel like you smelled anymore! I can't wait for those experiences... he...he...he...uh...ya.
Love you!

rayndrop said...

Shannon I'm so happy to be at your blog. I love the little section on "Lincolnisms." How nice that you've written it all down so that you'll have it always. I wish I had it all written down for all of my little angels.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Shanny.... Welcome to the world of Family Picture Nightmares... I want to say that it gets better with age, but I'm still waiting for it to get better...smiles I am sorry to hear how crazy that was for you. I am sure that the next time it will be better. I love the new look of the blog...The music is great.
You are so cute and fun...
love ya

Anonymous said...

You poor thing. I am so sorry. Picture day can be so hard even without a sick little one. Hopefully the next go around will be better.

Tara said...

I'm sorry about the pictures. I know the feeling of wanting it all to go perfectly. I hope some turned out. I would still love to get together some afternoon when you have time.

Amber said...

Holy cow lady! What a day! Hope that the rest of the week has been better!
What memories, right?
Take care of you!!

Kristi said...

I feel ill for some reason now. One time Noah puked in sacrament meeting just as we passed the bread!
I went over to Kathi's on Mon. and canned 24 pints of apples all by myself! Kathi was suppose to help, but that didn't really happen, since she was getting ready for Vegas.
So I still want you to check out seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com It's worth the time.

Kathi said...

Yes I visited your blog when I said I did, I just didn't read the story. I usually just read short stories and look at pictures. It was a pretty funny story though. PS Kristi lied, I did too help with the canning. She just did most of it.